What super power would your brew empower you with?
You know, like when the wonder twins [I’m really dating myself here] clashed their rings together each would say “Size of a…” name an animal or object and become that thing they needed to thwart evil. So when you enjoy your brewski and you say size of a ??? what power would you have? Leap tall buildings and then kick booty of an evil independence-hating giant?
Like most super heroes their powers are based in part on a positive character trait that is heightened to right a giant wrong or exact punishment upon an evildoer. Superman’s truthfulness showed up as x-ray vision, Wonder Woman also had her lasso of truth. Spiderman’s spidey sense can detect harm and Captain America had high moral values and a kick ass shield. Listen, any guy who can sport wedgie tights and still be cool had to have something powerful going on. Just saying.
Some of the entrepreneurial character traits of today’s brewers that are also in line with the founding brewers include:
- Free Thinkers: with a strong desire to create the “what if.”
- Rugged Individualism: In my previous incarnation as a marketing coach I’ve had the joy [and sometimes frustration] of working with leaders who do what they do because it would be impossible for them to do anything else. It was as though the universe plopped them into this plain of existence with an unquenchable thirst to be the manifest source for something. Compliance with the boring, the average or the safe is simply not in their DNA. So their super power would be like some omnipotent manifestation with cool blue body suite and electricity surging from their hands.
- Community Oriented: Local breweries were sustainable before sustainability was a buzzword. An organic emphasis that relies heavily on local suppliers for fresh ingredients, collaborative creativity and good corporate citizenship this trait is about people. Much like Superman’s trait as the protector of Metropolis.
- Action Oriented: Great ideas and admirable endeavors are worth a dime a dozen. It is the very rare person who takes consistent, bold and audacious actions. This super hero could have super speed zipping through to-do-lists with such speed and precision that it leaves their mates all hot and bothered.
- Accountable: It seems obvious that most entrepreneurs are accountable, but how many of us hold ourselves accountable for creating the world that we want to live in, a world that we want others to enjoy as well? From the outside it may seem like this brewery thing just kind of popped up, but in reality a mountain of external forces and internal doubts had to be traversed in order for their vision to become our reality. So this shy super-dude would be mild mannered until someone jacked with his peeps and then get all green and start smacking morons around.
- Connected: Within these leaders is a weird mix of lone wolf personality with a desire to be acknowledged and bring joy. How perfect a space to exercise this sometimes schizophrenic existence than to become a master craftsman of the elixir of the gods. That’s it. Zeus and his boys would be like ain’t no party like a craft brew party cause a craft brew party don’t stop. What!…We mortals would look up see the thunder coming from the heavens, know it is a universal dance line, smile and say, “You guys are so bad. Go on you, knuckleheads.”
So on your next craft beer do this. Take a swig, jump to your feet, and loudly shout “SIZE OF A…” name your power and let super powers well up from the inside. Naw, that wouldn’t be weird at all. Really…
Watch my Epic Brew video and hit me up with what your super power would be.